Well…it’s three weeks since CNN said Abdelbaset Ali Megrahi was at death’s door, in a coma. It’s two weeks since the BBC also visited his house to be shown the bomber in bed, although not necessarily in a coma. It’s about seven weeks since the liberated Libyan was filmed out and about at a rally in Tripoli. It’s an amazing 9 months since our elusive friend’s situation was reported as follows:
The freed mass murderer, 58, was on life support after slipping into a coma about a week ago.
A source close to the convicted killer’s family confirmed Megrahi, who has terminal prostate cancer, had been unable to talk for several weeks.
Last night his family were said to be at his bedside.
The source said: “Many people have been waiting for him to die. That day is coming very soon.
“He is on life support and has been for some days.
“Every day his loved ones expect it to be his last.”
Quite remarkable. Either Libya has a uniquely therapeutic climate – unlikely – or someone has been lying to us. Normally one might suspect the dead hand of Alastair Campbell, but we already know one of the chancers involved, Professor Karol Sikora:
Cancer specialist Professor Sikora, who assessed the 58-year-old, admitted in comments published yesterday that it was ’embarrassing’ that Megrahi has lived much longer than expected.
He told the Sunday Times: ‘There was always a chance he could live for ten years, 20 years . . . But it’s very unusual.’ And he admitted: ‘It was clear that three months was what they were aiming for. Three months was the critical point.
‘On the balance of probabilities, I felt I could sort of justify (that).’
He denied he came any under pressure to deliver the diagnosis, but admitted: ‘It is embarrassing that he’s gone on for so long.’